NIE (Número de identidad de extranjero) – is a tax identification number for foreigners in Spain. Used as the main ID number in Spain for all foreigners (both EU and non-EU citizens). You are required to have a NIE number if you want to purchase a property, a car or a boat. If you plan to become a resident in Spain, to study/work or open a business you will need to get a NIE number. Most banks require you to have a NIE number as well, although you can open a bank account in Spain with your passport, yet in the future, you will be required to provide a NIE number to your bank.
How to apply for NIE number?
There are three ways to get a NIE number.
1. Submit the required documents in person at one of the Spanish national police offices.
2. Submit the required documents through an authorized representative, in case the applicant is unable to come in person.
3. Submit the required documents at a Spanish consulate.
In this article, we will review the first option, namely submitting the documents for a NIE number in person at a Spanish police office.
The first thing you need to do is to get an appointment via the internet (cita previa) at the local police station, then gather all the required paperwork, pay the state duty and come to the police station on the day of your appointment. The NIE number is issued in the form of a paper certificate (A4) either on the same day or within a few days.
Certificates issued until mid-2016 were valid for only 3 months, then it was necessary to get a new document. The NIE number itself has no expiration date. Once assigned, it stays in the system, even if you lose the certificate. However, you may encounter notaries or officials who refuse to accept NIE certificates issued more than 3 months ago.
How to make an appointment for NIE?
You will need to make your appointment for NIE via the Internet here.
After registering, be sure to save the appointment confirmation (justificante de cita). If you know that you cannot come on the day of your appointment, you can cancel it by visiting the same website as cited above and entering your details (passport, etc).
What documents do I need to bring?
Here is a list of document you will need to prepare:
1. Confirmation of the appointment made (justificante de cita);
2. A completed EX-15 application form in duplicate;
3. A copy of all pages of the passport;
4. Documental justification of why you want to get the NIE (discussed in greater detail below);
5. The payment receipt of the state duty (the exact amount for today is 9.64 euros per person), you can pay in cash at the bank, or when filling out the payment form, specify the Spanish account from which the funds will be taken. To pay the state duty, you must fill out an online form called Tasa modelo 790 Código 012 and print it.
Reasons why you need a NIE
Among the reasons to apply for a NIE number:
• Opening a bank account (in this case, you must provide a letter from the bank with the seal of the bank and the signature of the authorized person, where it should be clearly stated that the bank needs a NIE of its customer);
• Purchasing real estate/vehicle (it is necessary to provide a reservation contract for the purchase of a real estate/vehicle; however, many police departments now require a notarized confirmation of the intent to purchase);
• Getting an education (you must provide a contract and a payment receipt (matrícula), for example for language courses at an official language school);
• Opening up a company (initial registration documents from a local lawyer (gestor), but better from a notary).
Some updates about getting a NIE in 2019
To date, the minimum waiting time for getting your appointment at the police is a month and a half. We recommend that you first register on the Internet or contact a specialist to make an appointment on your behalf, and then buy plane tickets. The system will not give you much choice when selecting a day and time. You will be given 1-3 different time slots depending on availability and it may not necessarily be in the city nearest to you. Thus, we highly recommend signing up at least 2-3 months before the intended purchase of real estate/vehicle.
If you do not speak Spanish, we strongly advise you to get a translator on the day you submit the documents, otherwise, you will be asked to postpone the appointment to another day and come to the police station with a native speaker. You can get advice on obtaining a NIE number, as well as order translation services from Comfortica specialists.